Tuesday, January 19, 2010

PIMIENTO CHEESE

I'm sure pimiento cheese sounds like a space filler for this blog, but this is a fantastic recipe. My friend since kindergarden, Martha from Harrison, Arkansas, gave this to me a couple of years ago and it has become a favorite with everyone that tries it. It makes a great sandwiches, but is just as great as a spread with crackers. Don't miss the two additions below the recipe.

Pimiento Cheese

1 1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
1 (4-oz) jar diced pimiento, drained*
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon finely grated onion
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 (8-oz) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, finely grated*
1 (8-oz) block extra- sharp Cheddar cheese, grated*

Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl, add cheeses. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.

*My friend Pam emailed me she tried this recipe, but she roasted peppers (peeled and chopped them) since she was out of pimientos. She and her husband thought it added an interesting flavor. Something fun to try.

*When I'm in a hurry, I use the pre-grated sharp cheeses from the grocery store, one (8-oz) package coarsely grated and one (8-oz) package finely grated. The extra-sharp is better, but in pinch, the pre-grated cheese will work.


Jalapeno Pimiento Cheese
Add 2 seeded and minced jalapeno peppers.

Pecan Pimiento Cheese
Stir in 3/4 cup toasted chopped pecans.


'Mytymo' pronounced mightymo, is our 9 month old, 9 pound Havanese.
He truly believes he's a really big dog. He loves all animals and all people. A real joy to live with, most of the time. Of course once I get the woodwork repaired and replace a few shoes, things will be better around here.


1 comment:

  1. I have had this pimento spread (made by Marilyn) on several occasions. My daughter LOVES it! It is one of her favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete