Thursday, January 28, 2010

EGGPLANT, ZUCCHINI OR CHICKEN PARMESAN

A friend ask me for a good Chicken Parmesan recipe, that's like waving a carrot in the front of nose of donkey. I set out to try a recipe, this comes from the 1970s 'Moosewood Cookbook', which is a very good vegetarian cookbook. My husband loves Eggplant Parmesan* (which is listed in this cookbook) more than Chicken, so I decided to test both at the same time. This is the recipe with tomato sauce, I would probably prefer Chicken Parmesan without tomato sauce, I will test that another time. I made the dish by frying the eggplant and chicken, I don't fry much, now my kitchen smells like an Italian, slightly greasy cafe. Next time I will bake the eggplant or chicken instead of frying. The tomato sauce is a good recipe for other dishes, so I will list that separately. It can be made a few days ahead, making the dish easier to handle the day you are serving it.

*Zucchini is listed in recipe as a substitute for eggplant. When you have a lot zucchini in the summer, this is a good way to cook it.

Eggplant, Zucchini or Chicken Parmesan

I batch of Italian Tomato Sauce, see Sauces
2 large eggplants peeled and sliced 1/2" thick
or
4 medium zucchini sliced 3/4" thick
or
6 skinned and boned half chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4" thick, since pounding makes the piece very large, I cut them in half, this gives you 12 pieces medium of chicken
1 cup or more flour, mixed with salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs
1 cup or more fine dry Italian bread crumbs mixed with basil, oregano (Italian seasoning my be substituted) and some grated Parmesan cheese
Olive oil
1 pound mozzarella cheese grated
1 cup Parmesan grated cheese + enough more to add to bread crumbs

Have ready in three shallow bowls, flour, 2 beaten eggs and breads crumbs. Dip in flour, then beaten eggs, then roll in bread crumbs. Fry in olive oil until done, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side for vegetables and longer for chicken.

If you don't wish to fry, bake vegetables in oiled pan, for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Chicken will need to back for 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees, check for doneness.

To assemble:

Layer chicken or vegetables, sauce and cheeses in an oiled large shallow baking dish, or two smaller dishes. I made in two dishes and cooked only one and refrigerated the other, I will give the second one to Melissa and Bernie to take home and bake tonight. For my daughter and her husband, it's like carry-out gourmet.

Bake at 375 degrees covered with foil for 30 to 40 minutes, uncover for last 15 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes before serving.

Serve over pasta with a green salad and crusty Italian bread.

Serves 6 to 8

No comments:

Post a Comment