Wednesday, July 21, 2010

RON'S SALSA

It is so hot here these days, I understand it is very hot all over the country. Salsa seems to be a hot weather favorite. I usually make fresh salsas this time of the year, using fresh tomatoes, chili's, onions, garlic and cilantro. My hair dresser Ron gave me his recipe. He always made up a large match every year and one year he send out questionnaires for people to judge the salsa. He received rave reviews, so he and his son considered putting it on the market. They decided against that, now he just shares with his friends. Ron and I talk everything from sports to food when I'm getting my hair cut and he was so kind to share the recipe.
If you want to make this up to give your friends, or just have on hand, I suggest you double or triple the recipe and bottle it in fruit jars.
~
Ron's Salsa

28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 can original Rotel Tomatoes
3 tablespoon lemon juice
2/3 tsp onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro*
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup chopped bottled jalapenos
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

Mix together for serving or heat to boiling and put in sterile jars for canning.

*I like cilantro and I don't think dried has much flavor. If I were making to serve immediately I would add fresh cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment